As well as our practice, there are many other local NHS services you can contact for health advice, information or treatment. Before you do, remember that you can treat many minor ailments such as coughs, colds and indigestion by keeping a well stocked medicine cabinet at home.
Antibiotics will not work for a cold!
We suggest you keep the following in your medicine cabinet:
- Paracetomol and aspirin (children under 16 and people with asthma must not take aspirin)
- Mild laxatives
- Anti-diarrhoeal medicines
- Rehydration mixture
- Indigestion remedy (e.g. antacids)
- Travel sickness tablets
- Sunscreen—SPF15 or higher
- Sunburn treatment (e.g. calamine)
- Tweezers and sharp scissors
- A thermometer
- A selection of plasters, non-absorbent cotton wool, elastic bandages and dressings
- Keep the medicine chest in a secure, locked place out of reach of small children
- Always read the instructions and use the suggested dose of any medication
- Check expiry dates—do not keep or use medicines after their use-by date
- Take all unwanted and out of date medicines back to the pharmacy.
- When ordering repeat prescriptions, please ensure you only request what you need